Starting a float centre can be a rewarding venture, from the financial gain and quick road to ROI (Return on Investment), to the satisfaction of helping customers switch off from the stresses of everyday life by providing a unique relaxation experience.
For new entrepreneurs and those unfamiliar with the health and wellness space, the thought of launching your own float centre can be a daunting process.
From finding the right location to selecting the right float tank manufacturer – in this blog, the Exo Float team break down 5 key steps to help you launch a successful float centre.
1.Research and Planning
Before diving in, familiarize yourself with the industry:
Market Analysis: Understand the demand for floatation therapy in your intended area. Using online resources or web searches, you can identify existing floatation centres or facilities in the vicinity. It’s generally beneficial to choose locations situated in wealthier areas, as they often have a higher propensity for wellness expenditures. When scouting potential locations, look for telltale signs of an area’s wealth: Are there upscale hair salons and nail bars? What are the typical prices for massages or therapy services in the vicinity? These indicators can give insights into the community’s spending habits on personal care and wellness.
Furthermore, ensure that the area has a good catchment with a population of 100,000 or more, as this can provide a larger potential client base. Additionally, consider areas that are in close proximity to large office buildings, gyms, and sports teams. These places often house individuals who prioritise wellness, making them potential customers. Opt for areas with favourable demographics.
Consider conducting surveys or hosting informational sessions to gauge local interest. Engage with community groups or wellness organisations to gain insights into potential clientele. Remember to analyse local trends and wellness habits to ensure your service aligns with the community’s preferences and needs. Establishing a solid online presence and collecting customer testimonials can also bolster your business’s credibility and reach.
Competitive Analysis: Evaluate existing centres’ strengths, weaknesses, offerings, and pricing. Differentiation can help set your business apart from existing competitors.
Service Offerings: Decide if you’ll provide only floatation therapy or if you’ll combine it with other complimentary services like massage or meditation classes.
2.Location Selection and Setup
The success of your centre is significantly influenced by its location.
Accessibility: Select a location that’s convenient for customers to locate and reach, preferably with ample parking close by. Evaluate whether you truly need an area with heavy foot traffic, as most customers schedule sessions in advance and are willing to journey slightly beyond crowded zones for better parking and facilities.
Ambience: Since floatation centres are focused on relaxation, a quiet, serene location is beneficial. Help people get into a relaxed state before and after their float session.
- Ensure the space has a proper plumbing system.
- Install the necessary amount of hot water based on the number of showers you plan to have.
- Ensure sufficient water pressure, especially during peak times when multiple showers might be running simultaneously.
- Recognize that most floatation tanks use high-power kW rated heaters to compensate for temperature drops during sessions. Ensure your facility’s electrical infrastructure can support this demand.
- Plan ahead and ensure there’s sufficient power capacity within the building for future expansion or the addition of more tanks.
- Consider different modalities or equipment you might introduce later on and factor in their power requirements.
- Think about other utility needs, such as an area dedicated to washing and drying towels.
- Design separate rooms for each tank to maintain tranquillity and minimise disturbance.
- Consider soundproofing measures to further reduce external noise.
Ambience and Cleanliness:
- Prioritise a clean and serene environment.
- Design spaces in a way that makes it easier to clean between customers, ensuring quick turnaround and maintained hygiene.
- Include a relaxation area for post-float rejuvenation.
- Ensure each room, including shower areas, complements the overall calming ambiance of the facility.
3.Procurement and Installation
Once you’ve secured a location, it’s time to outfit it.
Float Tanks: Research various float tanks, taking note of size, durability, maintenance needs, and customer reviews. Consider tanks with both quality and good warranty terms. Exo float tanks are designed for ease of installation, operation, and maintenance. Equipped with remote assistance, thorough filtration, and advanced UV sterilization, the Exo tank is the benchmark for hygiene and functionality in the market.
Water Maintenance: Invest in high-quality filtration systems, and become knowledgeable about water sanitation to ensure a safe and hygienic experience.
Ambience Enhancements: Additional elements and details such as soft lighting, calming music, or aromatherapy diffusers help add to the calming environment.
4. Licensing, Certifications, and Insurance
Navigating the legal landscape is crucial:
Licenses: Check with local authorities about required business and health licenses.
Training: It’s imperative that staff, particularly those in charge of tank maintenance, receive the necessary training.
Exo offers comprehensive training that covers not just float tank maintenance but also the broader operations of a float center. This includes assistance with:
- Sign-off sheets
- Data compliance
- Customer greetings and interactions
- And other essential operational aspects.
Insurance: For a float centre, various types of insurance can provide protection against a range of potential risks. Here are some of the essential insurance types a float centre should consider:
- General Liability: Covers injuries or property damage at your centre.
- Professional Liability: Protection against claims of negligence or malpractice.
- Property Insurance: Covers damage to your building, float tanks, and equipment.
- Workers’ Compensation: For employees injured on the job, covering their medical expenses and lost wages.
- Business Interruption: Covers lost income if your centre has to close temporarily due to a covered event.
- Product Liability: If you sell products, this protects against injury claims related to those products.
- Cyber Liability: Protects against data breaches if you store customer information.
- Employee Dishonesty: Covers losses from employee theft or fraud.
- Equipment Breakdown: For repairing or replacing broken equipment, like float tanks.
- Environmental Liability: Covers claims related to chemical use and potential environmental harm.
It’s recommended to consult with an insurance professional to determine the best coverage options for your specific float centre needs.
5. Marketing and Launch
With everything in place, it’s time to introduce your centre to the world:
Branding: Develop a strong brand identity – from a memorable name and logo to a cohesive interior design theme.
Digital Presence: Launch a user-friendly website, engage on social media, and consider leveraging online booking systems.
Promotions: Offer opening specials or packages. Collaborate with local businesses for cross-promotions, or host open-house events where potential customers can tour the facility and learn about floatation therapy.
Opening a float centre can be a transformative journey. While there’s a lot to consider, the satisfaction of offering a space for relaxation and well-being in today’s fast-paced world is immeasurable.
With careful planning, dedication, and a passion for promoting mental and physical health, your float centre can become a haven for many. Curious about the potential ROI of a float centre? Check out the Exo Float ROI calculator.
Exo float tanks are trusted globally by float centres, spas, hotels, sports institutes and medical facilities. Designed for ease of installation, operation, and maintenance, this Exo float tank is constructed from premium materials and showcases the leading edge of float technology.
Equipped with remote assistance, thorough filtration, and advanced UV sterilization, the Exo tank is the benchmark for hygiene and functionality in the market. Speak to an expert or get a custom quote today.